This page is filled with STEM Activities, Lesson Plans, Video Experiments, and More! Contact STEM Agent Stephanie Lamm for more activities and kits. Call us at 970-249-3935
Follow Us on Facebook! STEM Videos on YouTube STEMin Blog!
Quick STEM Activities
One Page STEM Activities!
Lessons in Life Cycles – Chicken Embryology
What came first – The Chicken or the Egg? Here is your chance to finally figure that out by exploring the life cycle of a chicken! We are excited to offer three easy to use chicken incubators and full student lesson plans that provide hands on learning about life cycles and chicken raising. Expand on these materials by diving into topics such as other organism life cycles, agriculture/industry, and careers in Ag!
Loan Kit Cost: $20.00 for incubator, brooder, and hatching supplies* for 1 month. Fertilized eggs not provided!
*Embryology Kit is available to School’s/Non-profits at no cost. Fertilized eggs might be provided depending on availability of local suppliers. Recommendations are available for venders of fertilized eggs.
Listed below are materials and resources used for course education:
- Embryology – Full Lesson Plans
- Chicken Careers – Extra Lesson
- Embryology – Chick Record
- Embryology – Worksheets
- Embryology – Chicken Breeds Book
- Virginia 4-H Chicken Development
STEMin @Home Activities – Easy Experiments you can do from home!
In the summer of 2020, we came up with STEM activities and videos youth could watch and participate in at home. Check out these fun, random, but thrilling activities we came up with to keep us STEMin during COVID! Check out our YouTube page for walk through videos that demo these and other fun projects!
- Video: Hollow Mask
- Video: Chromatography
- Video: Mobius Strip
- Video: Paper Tops
- Video: Pentominoes
- Video: Physics of the Punt
- Videos: Part 1 – Acid Base & Part 2 – Osmosis
ViralCycles – A Study of Viruses!
With recent events, our STEM team thought it might be useful to have a series of lessons devoted to youth learning about viruses and how a single virus can cause so much upheaval. This 6 lesson series was developed by Dr. Barbara Shaw with Colorado State University and discusses everything from size, infections rates, and personal protection. Use the videos to help youth walk through the lessons and learn how to stay safe and healthy!
- Video: Safety – Keep Yourself Safe!
- Video: Models’ – What is a Virus?
- Video: Shapes – What Does a Virus Look Like?
- Video: Sizes – How Big/Small is a Virus?
- Video: Doubling – Part 1 & Part 2
- Video: Contagious! – Part 1 & Part 2
Still Need More STEM Ideas?
We are always on the lookout for interesting STEM (or STEAM!) themed lessons! See our listing below of short, easy to follow lessons that we have incorporated into youth learning!
- 4-H Green Slime!
- Bouncing Bubbles!
- Bubble Snake
- Buoyancy! Help Old MacDonald Weigh a Fair Steer!
- Butter in a Jar
- Buzzy Balloons! Physics of Sound
- Catapult Fun! also in Spanish!
- Cork Sailboat also in Spanish!
- Drinking Straw Rockets also in Spanish!
- Flying Hero also in Spanish!
- Gods Eye Craft also in Spanish!
- Homemade Bath Scrubs
- Holiday Peppermint Salt Scrub
Newsletter & Activities!
- 66. Utes and STEM
- 65. Yummy Good!
- 64. Gadgets and Gizmos
- 63. Hogwarts
- 62. Career Explorations
- 61. Paleontology: Cenozoic
- 60. Paleontology: Mesozoic Part 2
- 59. Paleontology: Mesozoic Part 1
- 58. Paleontology: Paleozoic Era
- 57. Paleontology: Speciation
- 56. Paleontology: Change
- 55. Paleontology: When and Who
- 54. Paleontology: Basics
- 53. Paleontology: Intro!
- 52. Springtime
- 51. Greenhouse Gases
- 50. Oceans Climate
- 49. Earth In Space
- 48. Climate
- 47. Here Comes the Sun
- 46. Weather Forecasting
- 45. Mad Scientist
- 44. Aspen
- 43. Bookbinding
- 42. Pigments
- 41. Rube Goldberg
- 40. Chickadee
- 39. Astronomy
- 38. Snowflake Science
Colorado Teaching Standards
- Utes and STEM Standards
- Yummy Good! Standards
- Gadgets and Gizmos Standards
- Hogwarts Standards
- Paleontology: Cenozoic Standards
- Paleontology: Mesozoic Part 2 Standards
- Paleontology: Mesozoic Part 1 Standards
- Paleontology: Paleozoic Era Standards
- Paleontology: Speciation Standards
- Paleontology: Change Standards
- Paleontology: When and Who Standards
- Paleontology: Basics Standards
- Paleontology: Intro! Standards
- Springtime Standards
- Greenhouse Gases Standards
- Oceans Climate Standards
- Earth In Space Standards
- Climate Standards
- Here Comes the Sun Standards
- Weather Forecasting Standards
- Mad Scientist Standards
- Aspen Standards
- Bookbinding Standards
- Pigments Standards
- Rube Goldberg Standards
- Chickadee Standards
- Astronomy Standards
- Snowflake Science Standards
Dr. Barbara Shaw Ph.D. – Emeritus Youth Development 4-H STEM K-12 Specialist, Western Region
Stephanie Lamm – STEM/k12 Program Associate, Tri River Area