Family and Consumer Sciences (FCS, though traditionally called Home Economics) is the profession and field of study that deals with the economics and management of the home and community. In the Tri River Area this position covers many topics including: food safety, nutrition, wellness, Cottage Foods Act, food preservation, canning gauge testing and food systems work.
Contact the Agent
Ann Duncan, Family & Consumer Science Agent
- We Can Test Your Dial Gauge Lids! Just bring in your dial gauge pressure canner lids to one of our Tri River Area county offices. Cost is $10 per lid. Gauge accuracy will be tested and recommendations made regarding proper canning times and procedures. Research based information will also be available.
- Botulism; Botulism is a rare but serious disease that is associated with canned products. Find out more here.
- Canning using electric cookers, click here.
The Cottage Foods Act Legislation (click on the programs tab to see upcoming trainings and for more information click on resources)
- The Cottage Foods Act Updated May 2016- SB 16-058- MOST RECENT
- Cottage Foods Act Tier 1
- Cottage Foods Act Tier 2
- Colorado Cottage Foods Fact Sheet, click here (4.4.13)
- Colorado Cottage Food Producer Checklist, click here (5.22.12)
- Simple Facts: Colorado Cottage Foods Act: Click here for English/click here for Spanish
To join our Family and Consumer Science mailing list, please email Ann.Duncan@colostate.edu and include your name, email address, and mailing address.